Final words... and pictures!
Now before anyone gives me hell, no, the guitar is not set up at all, I just lightly started the string slots in the nut and sadles so I could get pics up for you all. (I really have to get some outdoor pics, the binding just doesn't show up!).
Click images to zoom
Thanks again to Mark at M&M Restoration for the beautiful work he did and also to Keith for sacrificing this project for me. I also want to thank my wife for being the most spectacular woman a man could find...
One last note, hard to believe it looked like this
How did you fix the chunk missing out of the tip of the head stock?
Very good question!! I just looked through my pics and I can not believe I didn't include that in the thread so thank you for making me double check!
Basically I wanted to stabilize it with something that would be integrated into the "meat" of the headstock, and not just a chunk of filler of somekind as that would probably be a little weak and crack and possibly fall off over time. I had also used this trick with a Model 5A that I did years ago and it's still undetectable.
All I did was to rough up the surface of the cracked off area and drill 3 small holes that I could tap some maple toothpics into. This acts like "re-bar" that's used in concrete work.
Unfortunately I did not find pics of how I made a cavity out of tape to hold the epoxy as it dried. I did the epoxy in layers because if I just put one big blob of epoxy in there, it wouldn't dry correctly.
Inbetween each layer I used a coarse rat tail file to rough it up so that the next layer of epoxy has something to bite into.
Sorry, I couldn't find a close up of the point when it was final sanded either, but you get the idea...